Drinking Water Purification
Representing only 1% of your total water bill, drinking water is the most important 1%.
What is Removed: Reverse Osmosis v. Carbon Filtration
|Water May Contain:||“Reverse Osmosis / Carbon Combination”||“Carbon Block or Activated Carbon”|
|Chlorine & THMs||Removes||Removes|
|Bacteria||Removes||May Control Growth**|
|Viruses||Removes||Will Not Remove|
|Arsenic||Removes||Will Not Remove|
|Heavy Metals***||Removes||Removes Some|
|Dissolved Solids****||Removes||Will Not Remove|
|Fluoride||Removes||Will Not Remove|
*Organic Compounds – include Pesticides, Herbicides, and Insecticides.
**Silver-Impregnated Carbon – can control bacterial growth.
***Heavy Metals – include Iron, Lead, Cadmium, and Aluminum.
****Dissolved Solids – include Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, and inorganic minerals.
Once the objective is the virtual elimination of all contaminants, the solution is reverse osmosis.
Within the larger category of reverse osmosis, you’re dealing with a few things:
- Percentage of contaminant elimination – this is tested by the NSF. A good system will have at least 20-30 contaminants tested by 3rd parties. Do not even look at one where the datasheet lists just a few items or whose datasheet is hidden.
- Membrane life – what is the warranty? If it is a one-year warranty, it’s going to be both expensive in terms of constant replacement and provide questionable water quality.
The Best Residential Reverse Osmosis System
Kinetico K5 Drinking Water Station
The Kinetico K5 Drinking Water Station is so advanced that it eliminates nearly everything from your home’s drinking water that isn’t water. Our unique system offers:
- Increased water pressure and flow
- A usage meter that monitors filter life and alerts homeowners when changing is required
- A 10-year warranty more comprehensive than our competitors, because the system self cleans with pure water
- Flexible cartridge options. Eliminate arsenic, add in minerals. It’s flexible.
- The removal of bad taste, odors, chlorine and other chemicals, bacteria, viruses, pharmaceuticals and harmful toxins